Saturday, March 29, 2008

William's Surgery

William had his Ear Tube surgery on March25th. He did really well and his recovery is going well too. We started the day early getting to the hospital at 6:00am. With no bottle or any food after midnight, William did really well. We thought he'd be pretty cranky with no food. They called us back, got him in a cute purple gown, and took his vitals. While we waited in the back for them to get us, Pastor Butch joined us and we had some down time. The nurse came and gave the baby some relaxing medicine about a half hour before the surgery, and if a baby could be drunk, that is what William was acting like. I'd have to say, he was relaxed! At 7:30am, they came to get us. I got on the bed with the baby, and they wheeled us down the hall for his induction (putting him to sleep for the surgery) while Benjamin and Pastor Butch walked with us. Benjamin and I got to go with him in the induction room, and got to hold his hand during the whole thing. There were about 8 medical people in there, and all of them were saying how cute William is. Even while they were putting the little mask on him, he was full of smiles. Once he was asleep, we left to let the dr do his thing. We waited in the room right outside the induction room, and about 15 minutes later the dr came out and said William did well. He told us William had infections in both ears, and that with the swelling from the infection, they might bleed a little. They took William to the recovery room, and we said good-bye to Pastor Butch and went back the the surgery waiting room. About 2 minutes after we got to the waiting room, the nurse called us and I was allowed to go back to see William. When I got there, the baby was crying and had just started to come out of his sleep. I held him and rocked him, but he continued to cry. I was getting a little nervous. After about 10 minutes, they took us from the recovery room to back to where we were before they took us to the surgery. Benjamin was able to come back too. William was still crying, and I was still pretty nervous that something was wrong. Benjamin said he was probably hungry (it was about 8:30am by then) and with the nurse's approval, we gave William a bottle. Well, that must have been it, because after the bottle, he calmed down - even to the point that he fell asleep. We let him sleep for about 15 minutes, and the nurse gave us our instructions and said we could leave. We put his jammies back on him (didn't even wake him up) and headed home. Once we got home, William woke up and even had a bite to eat. By the afternoon, he was going so great that if you didn't know he had surgery earlier in the morning, you'd never know. Now, 4 days later, he is doing great. We have a follow up appointment on the 8th. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers! Hopefully, these tubes will be the best thing and he won't get anymore darn ear infections! Here are a couple pictures I took with my cell phone while at the hospital...

Cuddling with Mommy before the surgery.

Cuddling with Daddy after the surgery.

Asleep after his bottle after the surgery.

Asleep in the car on the way home.

1 comment:

Spunky Toes said...

What sweet pictures. I'm so glad he did well and it recovery quickly. I hope those infections are a thing of the past for you guys. Take care of that cutie!