Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Allergy Testing

I had some allergy testing done right after William was born. I found out that I was allergic to chili peppers, celery, basil, and sesame seeds. So, ever since then (back in Aug 2007) I have tried my hardest to stay away from those foods. I was retested in 2010 after I had Mikey. The allergist I was going to changed their tests, so I wasn't able to be retested on chili peppers or basil. But, I did find out I was no longer allergic to celery and not as allergic to sesame. Well, I thought I was allergic to something else, but I just couldn't figure it out. So, I decided to go to a different allergist. This allergist allowed me to bring foods that were not included on their regular battery of tests. So, I brought everything I thought I was allergic to. Even the celery that I wasn't allergic to from my last test. The great news is I am no longer allergic to any of the foods I previously was allergic to. YEA!! That means I can again eat Mexican food! I haven't eaten anything like that in almost 4 years!! The bad news is I still really don't know what food I am allergic to. However, the doctor I saw thought that I may be allergic to the pesticide on the food or the way it is handled from other countries. He was also thinking it may be more of an intolerance - kinda like to MSG. I was tested for MSG and did not have a reaction, but he said that I may not have a reaction to the skin test, but maybe in large doses I would. I also found out that I am very allergic to Juniper trees, grass, mold and cats (which I knew). We talked about me starting allergy shots, but I found out today that we really can't afford it. It would be a minimum of $500 for our deductible and then 20% of everything after that $500. Um, that is a lot of money. I really was hoping to get the shots, but it just doesn't seem possible. So, for now I can at least broaden my eating and just need to watch what I eat if I ever have a reaction. I am very glad to be done with the testing. Not only did I get over 40 pricks in my back, but also had 18 shots. OUCH! I feel like a human pin cushion.

No comments: